Published on September 5th, 2013 | by Terry Spencer8
How safe is your kitchen?
Here are important reminders about kitchen appliance care to keep you and your family safe :
- An anti-tip, mounting device should be installed to secure the range/oven to the floor so that if pressure is applied to the door, there’s no risk of tipping.
- Keep a fire extinguisher stored in an easily-accessible location.
- Never use spray oven cleaner in ovens with a self-cleaning feature.
- For important air circulation, regularly check the vent hood’s filters and fan blades and blower to ensure proper operation.
- Periodically check the oven door, paying close attention to the way it closes. The gasket (door seal) should be free of tears. If the door does not close or seal properly, excessive heat near the front panel controls can cause unit damage or burns when touched.
- Broken internal components should be repaired only by a technician, due to risk of electrocution. However, external components like broken latches and handles may be easy, inexpensive DIY part replacement jobs.
- Heating liquid in a microwave oven is not advised due to risk of burning when touched. It’s better to heat water on a stove-top kettle.
- Never place hands near the garbage disposal (a.k.a. disposer). Before attempting to clear a disposal jam, unplug or disconnect the disposal from the circuit breaker. With care, use a broom handle or similar tool to clear jams. It’s best to avoid jams entirely by loading food slowly and carefully into the disposal. Do not load fibrous food like celery and corn husks into it.
- Replace a torn or worn rubber splash guard located in the mouth of the disposal. Damaged splash guards can allow food particles to be catapulted out of a running unit. Some splash guards are removable and easy to replace. Others are more permanently affixed and require more work for replacement.
Learn something from this post? Please share with family and friends! Anything you’d add to this list? Let us know in the comments below.
Love DIY tips and discounts? We do, too. That’s why we give them away.
Have you joined our free VIP email list?
Need help finding the right part?
We’re here for you 7 a.m. to midnight ET, every day.
Call us at 1-800-269-2609 or chat with us live on RepairClinic.com.
Since 1999, three and a half million people have purchased replacements parts and accessories from RepairClinic and saved more than $260 million in repair costs by fixing appliances, lawn equipment, power tools, and heating & cooling equipment on their own. From the beginning, RepairClinic has provided free troubleshooting and how-to resources on its website.
The company’s 2,000+ free how-to repair and how-it-works videos on its YouTube channel have been viewed more than 41 million times.
RepairClinic’s free, advanced online repair help system empowers do-it-yourselfers to fix common problems associated with home appliances, lawn equipment, power tools and heating & cooling equipment. DIYers can enter a model number to choose from a list of common symptoms for that particular model, troubleshoot and watch award-winning, expertly-produced videos to learn the most likely causes and conditions and purchase the correct part.
RepairClinic.com stocks more than one million parts and accessories for 160 brands of lawn mowers, small engines, snowblowers, string trimmers, furnaces, air conditioners, air handlers, heat pumps, washing machines, dryers, dishwashers, vacuum cleaners, power tools and many other products.
Since 1999, the company has served more than three million customers including homeowners, first-time and beginner DIYers, advanced DIYers, appliance repair professionals, small engine repair shops and landscaping and lawn care business owners. RepairClinic orders are backed by a 365 Days. Period.® return policy that enables customers to return any part. Of the more than one million parts available on the website, 95 percent of parts ordered are in stock and guaranteed to ship the same business day. RepairClinic ships within the United States, U.S. territories and military bases and Canada.