Published on March 31st, 2014 | by Jeff Linderman0
Outdoor power equipment maintenance 101
Follow these care basics to maximize efficiency, avoid expensive repairs and extend the life of your outdoor power equipment.
Always follow the owner’s manual for maintenance instructions specific to your particular models, as procedures do vary.
Here are general instructions for how to care for your lawn mower, chainsaw, string trimmer and snowblower. Check out our website’s Repair Help for additional maintenance tips.
Lawn Mower Maintenance Tips
- Tune up the engine before every mowing season. A tune-up kit, packed with the essentials as recommended by the lawn mower manufacturer, makes this easy. Shop the Great Spring Tune-up Kit Sale.
- Check for blade damage after every use. Replace if you find any dents or bends.
- Sharpen or replace dull blades. Dull blades tear rather than cut grass.
- Always have clean air and fuel filters in place.
- Change the oil every 50 hours of use. Always use the oil recommended by the manufacturer of that model.
- Add fuel stabilizer to fresh fuel to prevent carburetor damage.
- Never adjust the trail shield or other parts set by the manufacturer.
- Degrease periodically.
- Prepare for winter storage.
Chainsaw Maintenance Tips
- Before and after every use, check the chainsaw for loose bolts and screws.
- Replace the air filter every 100 hours of use or every three months.
- Use the proper gas and oil mixture, following the owner’s manual instructions.
- Replace the fuel filter if it’s damaged.
- Lubricate the bar and chain
String Trimmer Maintenance Tips
- Tune up the engine before the start of the season. A tune-up kit makes this easy.
- Replace the string with manufacturer-recommended string (a.k.a. trimmer line). Non-round-shaped string (such as star, cross and square-shaped) provides a much better cut.
- Change the fuel filter once per season.
- Clean or replace the spark arrestor at least once per season.
Snowblower Maintenance Tips
- Four-stroke engines: Replace oil every 50 hours of use.
- Replace the fuel filter at least once per season.
- Before scraper blade and slide shoes for wear.
- Lubricate bearings periodically.
- Check the auger for wear and replace as needed. There should be no exposed metal.
- Reduce ice and snow jams in the auger and on other parts that touch snow by spraying a lubricant like Snow Jet.
Love DIY tips and discounts? We do, too. That’s why we give them away.
Have you joined our free VIP email list?
Need help finding the right part?
We’re here for you 7 a.m. to midnight ET, every day.
Call us at 1-800-269-2609 or chat with us live on RepairClinic.com.
Since 1999, three and a half million people have purchased replacements parts and accessories from RepairClinic and saved more than $260 million in repair costs by fixing appliances, lawn equipment, power tools, and heating & cooling equipment on their own. From the beginning, RepairClinic has provided free troubleshooting and how-to resources on its website.
The company’s 2,000+ free how-to repair and how-it-works videos on its YouTube channel have been viewed more than 41 million times.
RepairClinic’s free, advanced online repair help system empowers do-it-yourselfers to fix common problems associated with home appliances, lawn equipment, power tools and heating & cooling equipment. DIYers can enter a model number to choose from a list of common symptoms for that particular model, troubleshoot and watch award-winning, expertly-produced videos to learn the most likely causes and conditions and purchase the correct part.
RepairClinic.com stocks more than one million parts and accessories for 160 brands of lawn mowers, small engines, snowblowers, string trimmers, furnaces, air conditioners, air handlers, heat pumps, washing machines, dryers, dishwashers, vacuum cleaners, power tools and many other products.
Since 1999, the company has served more than three million customers including homeowners, first-time and beginner DIYers, advanced DIYers, appliance repair professionals, small engine repair shops and landscaping and lawn care business owners. RepairClinic orders are backed by a 365 Days. Period.® return policy that enables customers to return any part. Of the more than one million parts available on the website, 95 percent of parts ordered are in stock and guaranteed to ship the same business day. RepairClinic ships within the United States, U.S. territories and military bases and Canada.