Microwave ovens are one of the most used appliances in the home. Here are 7 microwave care tips to help keep your microwave working well.
Close the microwave door carefully.
Since you need two hands to remove a hot dish from your microwave, you may be tempted to shut the door with your elbow since you don’t have a free hand. Take care not to slam the microwave door. Remove the dish and place in a safe location and then return to the microwave oven to shut the door. Latch mechanisms on microwave ovens generally have three switches that must close in a particular order. Slamming the door may alter the order of the switches’ closing, resulting in a blown fuse.
Use the preset cooking times.
Many people don’t bother using their microwave oven’s preset cooking features. This will heat food more effectively and conserve energy.
Never run it empty.
Some people have mistakenly run their microwave oven without food, simply for use of the timer while cooking on the range. This may damage the microwave oven. With the absence of food or liquid, the microwave energy is not being absorbed and will bounce around in the cavity. This can cause the glass and other parts of the microwave to overheat and be damaged.
Use only microwave-safe dishware.
Only place dishware that’s stamped microwave-safe into a microwave oven. Many glass products are not microwave safe. Never put dishware with metal parts. Never put in aluminum foil. If the dishware you are using to heat your food gets hot, or hotter than the food you are trying to heat up, it is most likely not microwave safe.
Keep it clean.
It’s important to keep microwave ovens clean. When splattered food particles on the interior walls absorb energy, they can cause permanent burn spots.
You can use warm water and soap or an appliance cleaner to remove splattered particles.
Replace common parts.
You can solve many common problems with touch-up paint and by replacing microwave parts such as turntables, light bulbs, charcoal filters and more.
Leave the major repair to the professionals.
Given that microwave ovens have high-voltage components, it is not recommended that you attempt repair to the control board or other internal components. High-voltage capacitors may retain a charge, even after they are turned off. Only experienced professionals should dissemble and attempt repair on internal components. We’re not exaggerating. Serious injury or death may result. Watch out!
However, you can still learn about what’s likely wrong with your microwave so that you’ll be better prepared to discuss with your repair professional. RepairClinic’s troubleshooting and repair help guide offers helpful information on the likely cause of its problems as well as the recommended part(s) for your machine. Have your model number ready and head the microwave repair help section.