Published on July 3rd, 2013 | by Jeff Linderman2
Things to consider when shopping for a new push lawn mower
When it makes more sense to replace a broken lawn mower than to repair it, here are things to consider when you’re in the market for a new push lawn mower:
Click to tweet these tips.
- If you’d prefer the easiest start possible, look for a model with an electric start. Engine startup is as simple as turning the key.
- Variable speed. A speed-adjusting lever will enable you to speed up and slow down as needed. This is a wise choice for younger and older lawn mower operators.
- A blade brake clutch. This handy feature disengages the blade but keeps the engine going. You’ll appreciate this convenience when you need to empty the mower bag or if you need to stop to move a toy or branch from the immediate area. Warning: Never put your hand near the blade area.
- Most premium engines, as they are dubbed, are quieter, last longer and reduce emissions.
- A washout port makes cleaning the inside of the mower deck extremely easy. You simply connect your garden hose and it goes to work to remove grass buildup. This eliminates need for dangerous tilting or tipping of the mower.
- If you mow your lawn through several seasons, a model that can mulch, bag and discharge clippings is a wise idea.
It’s also smart to check reviews and reports conducted by Consumer Reports, Popular Mechanics and other respected consumer publications that regularly test lawn mowers and other outdoor power equipment.
Remember to bookmark RepairClinic.com and check back frequently for tune-up kits, spark plugs, blades and other products to keep it running well.
Have a great summer.
Love DIY tips and discounts? We do, too. That’s why we give them away.
Have you joined our free VIP email list?
Need help finding the right part?
We’re here for you 7 a.m. to midnight ET, every day.
Call us at 1-800-269-2609 or chat with us live on RepairClinic.com.
Since 1999, three and a half million people have purchased replacements parts and accessories from RepairClinic and saved more than $260 million in repair costs by fixing appliances, lawn equipment, power tools, and heating & cooling equipment on their own. From the beginning, RepairClinic has provided free troubleshooting and how-to resources on its website.
The company’s 2,000+ free how-to repair and how-it-works videos on its YouTube channel have been viewed more than 41 million times.
RepairClinic’s free, advanced online repair help system empowers do-it-yourselfers to fix common problems associated with home appliances, lawn equipment, power tools and heating & cooling equipment. DIYers can enter a model number to choose from a list of common symptoms for that particular model, troubleshoot and watch award-winning, expertly-produced videos to learn the most likely causes and conditions and purchase the correct part.
RepairClinic.com stocks more than one million parts and accessories for 160 brands of lawn mowers, small engines, snowblowers, string trimmers, furnaces, air conditioners, air handlers, heat pumps, washing machines, dryers, dishwashers, vacuum cleaners, power tools and many other products.
Since 1999, the company has served more than three million customers including homeowners, first-time and beginner DIYers, advanced DIYers, appliance repair professionals, small engine repair shops and landscaping and lawn care business owners. RepairClinic orders are backed by a 365 Days. Period.® return policy that enables customers to return any part. Of the more than one million parts available on the website, 95 percent of parts ordered are in stock and guaranteed to ship the same business day. RepairClinic ships within the United States, U.S. territories and military bases and Canada.