Published on July 23rd, 2013 | by RepairClinic.com Staff6
10 easy ways to lower your summer cooling bills
Cranking up the AC in your home? Portable fans working overtime?
Yes, the same thing is happening in our homes, too!
Here are 10 easy things you can do to reduce energy consumption, get more comfortable and lower your cooling bill.
2. Consider alternative ways to prepare meals such as your outdoor grill. Why? Ovens generate heat, too.
3. Plant trees in your yard. The new shade could make a considerable difference in your home’s overall temperature.
4. Wear warm-weather clothes inside of your home. This will enable you to increase your home’s temperature by a few degrees without notice.
5. Give your AC some TLC. If you have a window AC, clean its air filter. A dirty, clogged filter makes means your AC must work harder. It can also lead to costly repairs. If you have a central air conditioning system, clean it before and after the cooling season. Wash out leaves, grass, dirt and other debris from between the coils.
Air conditioner broken? RepairClinic has replacement parts for window and through-wall (a.k.a. through-the-wall or thru-wall) air conditioners as well as central air conditioning systems. With your air conditioner’s model number ready, head to RepairClinic.com.
6. Check out the caulking and/or weatherstripping around windows. Repair as needed.
7. Use only a ceiling fan at night. As evening arrives and temperatures fall, you may only need a fan serving one room to stay comfortable.
8. Close the drapes and shades. Yes, this really can reduce room temperature by a few degrees, especially in sunny areas.
9. Hang out on the lowest floor of your home. Remember that heat rises so spending more time in the coolest part of your home may take a needed load off your cooling system.
10. If you’re out of your home for a day or a longer period, leave a reminder note to adjust your home’s thermostat to a slightly higher temperature before you leave.
- In the market for a portable generator? Check out these tips from Ryan Huntley, a RepairClinic.com staff appliance specialist, about how to find the right portable generator for you.
- Eight tips for getting your central air conditioning system ready for summer
- 19 simple ways to reduce energy consumption and save money this summer
- Six simple ways to get your window or through-the-wall air conditioner ready for summer
Anything else you’d add to this list? Please share in the comments below! We love comments.
Please share this! Click on the social media links to the left.
Love DIY tips and discounts? We do, too. That’s why we give them away.
Have you joined our free VIP email list?
Need help finding the right part?
We’re here for you 7 a.m. to midnight ET, every day.
Call us at 1-800-269-2609 or chat with us live on RepairClinic.com.
Since 1999, three and a half million people have purchased replacements parts and accessories from RepairClinic and saved more than $260 million in repair costs by fixing appliances, lawn equipment, power tools, and heating & cooling equipment on their own. From the beginning, RepairClinic has provided free troubleshooting and how-to resources on its website.
The company’s 2,000+ free how-to repair and how-it-works videos on its YouTube channel have been viewed more than 41 million times.
RepairClinic’s free, advanced online repair help system empowers do-it-yourselfers to fix common problems associated with home appliances, lawn equipment, power tools and heating & cooling equipment. DIYers can enter a model number to choose from a list of common symptoms for that particular model, troubleshoot and watch award-winning, expertly-produced videos to learn the most likely causes and conditions and purchase the correct part.
RepairClinic.com stocks more than one million parts and accessories for 160 brands of lawn mowers, small engines, snowblowers, string trimmers, furnaces, air conditioners, air handlers, heat pumps, washing machines, dryers, dishwashers, vacuum cleaners, power tools and many other products.
Since 1999, the company has served more than three million customers including homeowners, first-time and beginner DIYers, advanced DIYers, appliance repair professionals, small engine repair shops and landscaping and lawn care business owners. RepairClinic orders are backed by a 365 Days. Period.® return policy that enables customers to return any part. Of the more than one million parts available on the website, 95 percent of parts ordered are in stock and guaranteed to ship the same business day. RepairClinic ships within the United States, U.S. territories and military bases and Canada.