Published on October 16th, 2013 | by RepairClinic.com Staff0
Seven easy ways to prevent a fire in your home
In honor of the many fire-prevention education programs and events happening this month around North America , here are seven easy ways to prevent a fire in your home:
1. Periodically check to make your range’s vent hood is operating properly. If something’s broken, fix it.
2. Remove spills and splatters from your oven’s interior. If left alone, this will lead to smoking and eventually, start a fire.
3. Limit use of space heaters. Their compact sizes makes them particularly vulnerable to accidental tipping over. It’s best to keep space heaters at least three feet away from flammable objects and fabric.
Clothes dryers cause thousands fires in the U.S. and Canada every year. The common cause is lint build up that clogs dryer venting and restricts important air flow.
4. Clean out the lint filter (a.k.a. lint trap) after every load.
5. A venting system should be cleaned out from inside of the dryer to the outside vent cap at least once per year. For many, this can be a one-afternoon DIY project. It’s easy with a long brush. We also recommend Lint Alert for gas dryers. It monitors for lint build-up and blockage in dryer venting and alerts if there is a fire risk. But you should still periodically check for buildup manually.
6. Pay attention to drying time. If it’s taking longer than usual for clothes to dry, it’s likely that lint is clogging the venting system. The venting should be cleaned out as soon as possible.
7. Periodically check to make sure there are no restrictions in the vent cap areas (where the venting exits your home). Make sure that bushes, flowers, debris, snow and other obstacles are not impeding air flow.
- Once per season, check to make sure your carbon monoxide and fire smoke detectors are working properly. Schedule battery replacement dates on your calendars.
- Keep an easily-accessible fire extinguisher in your kitchen and make sure every person living in your home knows how to use it.
- Periodically review fire safety basics with children.
Love DIY tips and discounts? We do, too. That’s why we give them away.
Have you joined our free VIP email list?
Need help finding the right part?
We’re here for you 7 a.m. to midnight ET, every day.
Call us at 1-800-269-2609 or chat with us live on RepairClinic.com.
Since 1999, three and a half million people have purchased replacements parts and accessories from RepairClinic and saved more than $260 million in repair costs by fixing appliances, lawn equipment, power tools, and heating & cooling equipment on their own. From the beginning, RepairClinic has provided free troubleshooting and how-to resources on its website.
The company’s 2,000+ free how-to repair and how-it-works videos on its YouTube channel have been viewed more than 41 million times.
RepairClinic’s free, advanced online repair help system empowers do-it-yourselfers to fix common problems associated with home appliances, lawn equipment, power tools and heating & cooling equipment. DIYers can enter a model number to choose from a list of common symptoms for that particular model, troubleshoot and watch award-winning, expertly-produced videos to learn the most likely causes and conditions and purchase the correct part.
RepairClinic.com stocks more than one million parts and accessories for 160 brands of lawn mowers, small engines, snowblowers, string trimmers, furnaces, air conditioners, air handlers, heat pumps, washing machines, dryers, dishwashers, vacuum cleaners, power tools and many other products.
Since 1999, the company has served more than three million customers including homeowners, first-time and beginner DIYers, advanced DIYers, appliance repair professionals, small engine repair shops and landscaping and lawn care business owners. RepairClinic orders are backed by a 365 Days. Period.® return policy that enables customers to return any part. Of the more than one million parts available on the website, 95 percent of parts ordered are in stock and guaranteed to ship the same business day. RepairClinic ships within the United States, U.S. territories and military bases and Canada.