Published on June 25th, 2013 | by Jeff Linderman0
How to create a cool mowing pattern on your lawn
The cool lawn patterns we know well from baseball stadiums and golf courses can be easily duplicated on residential lawns, too. The secret lies in the direction that the blades are cut during a mowing. The pattern effect is simply light reflection on the blades.
To create the basic stripe pattern on your lawn:
- First create your mowing turnaround area by mowing the perimeter of your lawn. This will serve as the area where you’ll change the direction of your mower.
- Then mow in opposite directions – diagonally or straight, north/south or east/west. Overlap the stripes slightly.
To create a plaid/checkerboard pattern:
- First create your turnaround area by mowing the perimeter of your lawn. This will serve as the area where you’ll change directions.
- Mow straight, north/south or east/west across your entire lawn.
- Now mow in the opposite direction of the first mowing.
- Enjoy your professional-landscaped look!
To create a boxy pattern:
- Mow the perimeter of your lawn.
- When you’ve completed the perimeter, turn your mower 90 degrees and mow along the new box.
- Repeat until your entire lawn is complete.
Note: I think this is harder because more turning is involved and it may require your mower to work harder to build momentum each time you turn.
Some people prefer circular patterns or that of their favorite Zamboni driver. Whatever your favorite pattern, I hope you have fun with it.
Other tips to improve the look of your lawn:
- Remember the importance of sharp mower blades. Dull mower blades tear the blades, rather than cut, resulting in a yellow hue at the tip of the blades. That will destroy the look of your cool pattern! Universal mower blades are not recommended due to safety issues. Make sure you purchase and install the blades specifically designed for your model. RepairClinic.com has replacement blades, spark plugs, air filters, ignition coils, wheels, maintenance kits and more. Enter your engine model on RepairClinic.com for a list of products for your model.
- Water only once weekly, in most parts of the U.S. Keep the water flowing for a lengthy period to allow for deeper saturation. This will result in deeper root growth and a healthier lawn.
- Let the blades grow. Cut only one third of a grass blade in a single mowing. Keeping the blades at a taller height will provide a plusher, more vibrant green a lawn because grass grows through photosynthesis. More sun, more energy, more growth.
Other posts you might like:
Happy mowing! Have a wonderful summer!
Love DIY tips and discounts? We do, too. That’s why we give them away.
Have you joined our free VIP email list?
Need help finding the right part?
We’re here for you 7 a.m. to midnight ET, every day.
Call us at 1-800-269-2609 or chat with us live on RepairClinic.com.
Since 1999, three and a half million people have purchased replacements parts and accessories from RepairClinic and saved more than $260 million in repair costs by fixing appliances, lawn equipment, power tools, and heating & cooling equipment on their own. From the beginning, RepairClinic has provided free troubleshooting and how-to resources on its website.
The company’s 2,000+ free how-to repair and how-it-works videos on its YouTube channel have been viewed more than 41 million times.
RepairClinic’s free, advanced online repair help system empowers do-it-yourselfers to fix common problems associated with home appliances, lawn equipment, power tools and heating & cooling equipment. DIYers can enter a model number to choose from a list of common symptoms for that particular model, troubleshoot and watch award-winning, expertly-produced videos to learn the most likely causes and conditions and purchase the correct part.
RepairClinic.com stocks more than one million parts and accessories for 160 brands of lawn mowers, small engines, snowblowers, string trimmers, furnaces, air conditioners, air handlers, heat pumps, washing machines, dryers, dishwashers, vacuum cleaners, power tools and many other products.
Since 1999, the company has served more than three million customers including homeowners, first-time and beginner DIYers, advanced DIYers, appliance repair professionals, small engine repair shops and landscaping and lawn care business owners. RepairClinic orders are backed by a 365 Days. Period.® return policy that enables customers to return any part. Of the more than one million parts available on the website, 95 percent of parts ordered are in stock and guaranteed to ship the same business day. RepairClinic ships within the United States, U.S. territories and military bases and Canada.